Nine projects related to the preterm birth and babies’ development were selected.
Among the many transformations that Brazil has undergone in the last 30 years is the change to an integrated and unified health system, one in which there has been striking progress in providing maternal and child health services. The number of women without access to any prenatal care has fallen from 10.7 % in 1995 to 2% in 2009, for instance, and over 90% of births occur in the hospital setting. Nevertheless, there remains variability in access to preventive interventions and in the quality of health services provided.
The problems associated with preterm birth in particular provide a window into women’s health in Brazil. Preterm birth is more than 10% of births in the country and contributes significantly to total neonatal mortality. Paradoxically, a significant fraction of these preterm births are iatrogenic and associated with the rising number of C-sections, which in 2009 for the first time outnumbered vaginal deliveries in Brazil. This trend highlights the need to stimulate behavioral changes of patients and healthcare providers to remove one of the roadblocks to preventing preterm birth. Another distinct roadblock to progress in the treatment of preterm infants is the incomplete uptake of established treatments, such as corticosteroids.
These and other roadblocks are the target of this request for proposals Grand Challenges Brazil: Reducing the Burden of Preterm Birth, which seeks innovative research to develop new prevention and treatment strategies and reduce the burden of preterm birth. As a research component of the “Stork Network,” this program would contribute to the goal of universal access and uptake of evidence-based healthcare policies and services.
Projects in Preterm birth
Progesterone and cervical pessary to prevent premature birth or P5 study
Premature live births in São Paulo: a spatial approach
Influence of the vaginal microbiome and vaginal metabolites in cervical remodeling and preterm delivery
Randomized clinical trial with magnesium supplementation during pregnancy
Forty Weeks: an innovative intervention in prenatal care to reduce prematurity
Sentidos do Nascer: effects of an interactive exhibition on the transformation of perception about delivery and childbirth
Association between fetal microbiota, prematurity and morbidities of premature newborns
Development of a concentrate with human milk lyophilizate to feed very low birth weight preterm newborns
Breastfeeding in premature infants: impact of BFHI for neonatal units
ABC transporters in pregnancy and premature birth
Use of metabolomics for identification and validation of biomarkers for preterm birth
Latest studies published in Preterm birth
- Marquart KGF, Silva TV, Mol BW, Cecatti JG, Passini Jr R, Pereira CM, Guedes TB, Fanton TF, Pacagnella RC, P5 Working Group (2022). Cervical length distribution among Brazilian pregnant population and risk factors for short cervix: a multicenter cross-section study (2022). PLoS One 17(10):e0272128. https//doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0272128 - 10/2022
- Pacagnella RC, Silva TV, Cecatti JG, Passini Jr R, Fanton TF, Borovac-Pinheiro A, Pereira CM, Fernandes KG, França MS, Li Wentao, Mol BW, P5 Working Group. Pessary plus progesterone to prevent preterm birth in women with short cervixes: a randomized controlled trial (2022). Obstetrics & Gynecology 139 (1):41-51. https//doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000004634 Comment in Souza RAS, Lima MSM (2022). Obstet Gynecol 139(5):937.https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000004784 - 05/2022
- Perinatal outcomes from preterm and early term births in a multicenter cohort of low risk nulliparous women - 05/2022
- Silva TV, Bento SF, Katz L, Pacagnella RC. Preterm birth risk, me? Women risk perception about premature delivery – a qualitative analysis. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 21(1):633. https//doi.org/10.1186/s12884-021-04068-x - 09/2021
- Effect of sublethal prenatal endotoxaemia on murine placental transport systems and lipid homeostasis - 05/2021
- ZIKV disrupts placental ultrastructure and drug transporter expression in mice - 04/2021
- Breast cancer resistance protein (Bcrp/Abcg2) is selectively modulated by lipopolysaccharide (LPS) in the mouse yolk sac - 12/2020
- Malaria in pregnancy regulates P-glycoprotein (P-gp/Abcb1a) and ABCA1 efflux transporters in the Mouse Visceral Yolk Sac - 09/2020
- The Project Lioneo: Nutrition of Very Low Birthweight Newborns Using a Concentrate with Human Milk Lyophilisate: Phase 1 Study for Safety and Tolerability - 09/2020
- Essential and toxic elements in human milk concentrate with human milk lyophilizate: A preclinical study - 09/2020